lovelybike3

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Shady Lady: On the Necessity of Sunglasses

Posted on 5:41 AM by dvdsvdsdv
This might sound obvious to experienced cyclists, but I've discovered that good sunglasses are a must, especially when riding through the countryside. Not only will sunglasses protect the eyes from harmful rays and the delicate skin under the eyes from wrinkles, but they also shield from the debris and insects that hurtle toward me at top speed.

Yes, insects! Assuming that your bicycle has no windshield, be prepared for your face to be hit by flies, bees, butterflies, and God knows what else. If you keep your mouth open, they will fly into your mouth. And if you don't wear sunglasses, they will fly right into your eyes or get trapped in your eyelashes. Based on personal experience, I can promise you that this is not pleasant.

To be useful as a shield, I find that the best sunglasses are those that cover as much of my face as possible. Conveniently, the "Jackie O." style is popular right now and every shop seems to carry them in many variations. I opt for cheaper sunglasses, because I have a knack for losing or destroying mine. The darlings pictured here lasted two weeks before I crushed them in my handbag -- which reminds me that I must buy another pair if I plan to cycle again over the weekend.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in comfort, countryside, summer cycling, sun and heat, trails | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Da Vinci Bicycle... Or Not
    Forget the Fendi Bicycle . It has been proposed that the first Italian designer bike was invented by Leonardo Da Vinci. The wooden construc...
  • Citibike Wien
    Like many cities in the EU, Vienna has recently adapted an active city-wide bicycle rental programme. The concept is similar to Zipcar in t...
  • Woolen Socks and Tights: Winter Cycling Delights
    Over the holidays I was gifted some wool socks and tights, and I thought it might be useful to review them. Wool is of course an essential ...
  • French Inspirations II: J'Adore RenĂ© Herse
    As far as vintage roadbikes go, none have gotten to me quite like the impeccably elegant René Herse . For your viewing pleasure, I present s...
  • Old English vs New English
    When I first posted about buying my vintage Raleigh Lady's Tourist, a reader commented that it looks like "the Pashley's grandm...
  • DZnuts for the Ladies?
    One discovery I have made in my attempts to battle roadbike discomforts is a product called DZnuts . This is a chamois cream that promises t...
  • Creative Encounters: Bicycle "Self-help" Workshop
    Located in the WUK center for workshops and culture in Vienna, the Fahrrad Selbsthilfe Werkstatt (Bicycle Self-Help Workshop), functions o...
  • New Year, New Look, and Change of Contact Info
    Happy 2010 everyone! It's always nice to do something new in the new year, and so you may have noticed that I've made some minor cha...
  • Adventures with Shellac: Olive Handlebar Tape
    Okay: So say, hypothetically, you acquire a Mixte . It is a beautiful pale marine-blue. And it comes with drop handlebars. And after read...
  • Drop Bars!
    With my horrible sense of balance, I did not think I'd be able to ride a "real" road bike, with drop bars and narrow tires -...

Categories

  • ANT
  • art
  • bags
  • basket
  • beginners
  • bicycle events
  • bicycle industry
  • bicycle reviews
  • bike friends
  • bike shopping
  • blog development
  • Boston
  • Brompton
  • Brooks
  • Cape Cod
  • cats
  • clothing
  • Co-Habitant
  • coaster brake
  • comfort
  • countryside
  • diamond frame
  • DIY
  • DL-1
  • dress guards
  • drop bars
  • Eustacia Vye
  • fashion industry
  • fenders
  • films
  • flowers
  • food
  • framebuilding
  • Gazelle
  • gender
  • give-away
  • grips
  • handlebars
  • holidays
  • Italian bicycles
  • lights
  • local bike shops
  • loop frame
  • Lucy 3-Speed
  • lugs
  • Marianne
  • mixte
  • Motobecane
  • Myles
  • night time cycling
  • Pashley
  • product reviews
  • rain
  • Raleigh
  • restoration
  • Rivendell
  • roadcycling
  • rod brakes
  • Rodney
  • Royal H
  • Royal H. Mixte
  • saddles
  • shop visits
  • silliness
  • skirt
  • social commentary
  • somervillain
  • summer cycling
  • sun and heat
  • tandem
  • technique
  • test rides
  • tires
  • tools
  • traffic
  • trails
  • travel
  • urban cycling
  • Velouria
  • Vienna
  • vintage
  • winter cycling

Blog Archive

  • ►  2010 (8)
    • ►  January (8)
  • ▼  2009 (182)
    • ►  December (22)
    • ►  November (20)
    • ►  October (27)
    • ►  September (21)
    • ►  August (20)
    • ►  July (21)
    • ►  June (23)
    • ▼  May (19)
      • Rain, Rain Go Away? Or on Second Thought, Stay!
      • The Pashley Princess: How the Choice Was Made
      • Viennese Cyclists
      • The "Fendi Abici Bike" in Vogue Magazine
      • His Pashley Roadster Arrives!
      • In Defense of the "Frivolous" Bike Craze
      • Kitty Inspects English Craftsmanship
      • Netted Dress Guards
      • Shady Lady: On the Necessity of Sunglasses
      • Danube Cycle Path: Part II
      • Danube Cycle Path: Part I
      • Citibike Wien
      • Bicycles in Vienna: Part III
      • Bicycles in Vienna: Part II
      • Bicycles in Vienna: Part I
      • Gazelle in Club Monaco, Boston
      • Pashley Roadster Sovereign
      • Pashleys at Harris Cyclery!
      • Profiles of Traditional Bicycle Manufacturers
    • ►  April (9)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

dvdsvdsdv
View my complete profile