lovelybike3

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Gazelle in Club Monaco, Boston

Posted on 4:34 PM by dvdsvdsdv
The Gazelle Toer Populair for Club Monaco has arrived in Boston. These bicycles look incredibly beautiful lined up as a window display. Sadly, while you can try them on for size, you cannot ride them inside the shop or the Prudential Center - store policy. It is not clear to me how one can make a decision of whether or not to purchase a $1,000 bicycle without riding it, but never mind.

This version of the Toer Populair is a 3-gear, with rod brakes (see close-up below). Club Monaco offers these bicycles for a special price of several hundred dollars below list price. Delivery is free.

I would have purchased a Club Monaco Toer Populair on the spot, if it weren't for the brake system. The bicycles are glamorous and quite comfortable, but I am worried that the rod brakes may not be sufficient.

Edited to add: I have since learned that the rod brakes are actually rod-activated drum brakes, which have much better stopping power than traditional rod brakes.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in Boston, Brooks, dress guards, Gazelle, loop frame, rod brakes | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Da Vinci Bicycle... Or Not
    Forget the Fendi Bicycle . It has been proposed that the first Italian designer bike was invented by Leonardo Da Vinci. The wooden construc...
  • Citibike Wien
    Like many cities in the EU, Vienna has recently adapted an active city-wide bicycle rental programme. The concept is similar to Zipcar in t...
  • DZnuts for the Ladies?
    One discovery I have made in my attempts to battle roadbike discomforts is a product called DZnuts . This is a chamois cream that promises t...
  • Woolen Socks and Tights: Winter Cycling Delights
    Over the holidays I was gifted some wool socks and tights, and I thought it might be useful to review them. Wool is of course an essential ...
  • French Inspirations II: J'Adore RenĂ© Herse
    As far as vintage roadbikes go, none have gotten to me quite like the impeccably elegant René Herse . For your viewing pleasure, I present s...
  • Old English vs New English
    When I first posted about buying my vintage Raleigh Lady's Tourist, a reader commented that it looks like "the Pashley's grandm...
  • New Year, New Look, and Change of Contact Info
    Happy 2010 everyone! It's always nice to do something new in the new year, and so you may have noticed that I've made some minor cha...
  • Creative Encounters: Bicycle "Self-help" Workshop
    Located in the WUK center for workshops and culture in Vienna, the Fahrrad Selbsthilfe Werkstatt (Bicycle Self-Help Workshop), functions o...
  • Bicycles in Vienna: Part I
    On account of my job, I spend parts of the year in Vienna, Austria. Now that my interest in bicycles is ignited, I have been paying attenti...
  • Adventures with Shellac: Olive Handlebar Tape
    Okay: So say, hypothetically, you acquire a Mixte . It is a beautiful pale marine-blue. And it comes with drop handlebars. And after read...

Categories

  • ANT
  • art
  • bags
  • basket
  • beginners
  • bicycle events
  • bicycle industry
  • bicycle reviews
  • bike friends
  • bike shopping
  • blog development
  • Boston
  • Brompton
  • Brooks
  • Cape Cod
  • cats
  • clothing
  • Co-Habitant
  • coaster brake
  • comfort
  • countryside
  • diamond frame
  • DIY
  • DL-1
  • dress guards
  • drop bars
  • Eustacia Vye
  • fashion industry
  • fenders
  • films
  • flowers
  • food
  • framebuilding
  • Gazelle
  • gender
  • give-away
  • grips
  • handlebars
  • holidays
  • Italian bicycles
  • lights
  • local bike shops
  • loop frame
  • Lucy 3-Speed
  • lugs
  • Marianne
  • mixte
  • Motobecane
  • Myles
  • night time cycling
  • Pashley
  • product reviews
  • rain
  • Raleigh
  • restoration
  • Rivendell
  • roadcycling
  • rod brakes
  • Rodney
  • Royal H
  • Royal H. Mixte
  • saddles
  • shop visits
  • silliness
  • skirt
  • social commentary
  • somervillain
  • summer cycling
  • sun and heat
  • tandem
  • technique
  • test rides
  • tires
  • tools
  • traffic
  • trails
  • travel
  • urban cycling
  • Velouria
  • Vienna
  • vintage
  • winter cycling

Blog Archive

  • ►  2010 (8)
    • ►  January (8)
  • ▼  2009 (182)
    • ►  December (22)
    • ►  November (20)
    • ►  October (27)
    • ►  September (21)
    • ►  August (20)
    • ►  July (21)
    • ►  June (23)
    • ▼  May (19)
      • Rain, Rain Go Away? Or on Second Thought, Stay!
      • The Pashley Princess: How the Choice Was Made
      • Viennese Cyclists
      • The "Fendi Abici Bike" in Vogue Magazine
      • His Pashley Roadster Arrives!
      • In Defense of the "Frivolous" Bike Craze
      • Kitty Inspects English Craftsmanship
      • Netted Dress Guards
      • Shady Lady: On the Necessity of Sunglasses
      • Danube Cycle Path: Part II
      • Danube Cycle Path: Part I
      • Citibike Wien
      • Bicycles in Vienna: Part III
      • Bicycles in Vienna: Part II
      • Bicycles in Vienna: Part I
      • Gazelle in Club Monaco, Boston
      • Pashley Roadster Sovereign
      • Pashleys at Harris Cyclery!
      • Profiles of Traditional Bicycle Manufacturers
    • ►  April (9)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

dvdsvdsdv
View my complete profile