lovelybike3

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Milan Bars (Alcohol-Free)

Posted on 5:28 PM by dvdsvdsdv
When most people think of Milan bars, they probably picture something like this:

[image: venere.com]

But these are the ones I had in mind:

The Velo Orange Milan Handlebars have now replaced the drop bars on my mixte. I picked her up from Open Bicycle today after the surgery. The bars are missing grips, but already looking beautiful. They are not nearly as wide as the distorted perspective of the shots makes them seem, but I can't get a better photo right now.

I replaced the drop bars and brake levers on Marianne after injuring my hands using the original set-up. Let's just say I am talented when it comes to injury. With the new set-up, the braking power is superb and the hand position is sporty (similar to holding the top of the drop bars) yet comfortable. The stem has been replaced with a taller and longer Nitto Technomic. The brake levers are Shimano mountain bike levers. I have some nice dark green cork tape for the wraps, which will be shellacked and twined. Will post updates once the makeover is complete.

Oh and they also removed the "pie plate" from the back wheel. It couldn't be snapped or cut off, because there was a stiff metal ring holding it together that needed to be removed as well. Marianne was very happy to get this procedure done, because all the hipster bikes in Boston were making fun of her. Now she is looking nicer than ever!
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in handlebars, Marianne, mixte, product reviews | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Da Vinci Bicycle... Or Not
    Forget the Fendi Bicycle . It has been proposed that the first Italian designer bike was invented by Leonardo Da Vinci. The wooden construc...
  • Citibike Wien
    Like many cities in the EU, Vienna has recently adapted an active city-wide bicycle rental programme. The concept is similar to Zipcar in t...
  • DZnuts for the Ladies?
    One discovery I have made in my attempts to battle roadbike discomforts is a product called DZnuts . This is a chamois cream that promises t...
  • Woolen Socks and Tights: Winter Cycling Delights
    Over the holidays I was gifted some wool socks and tights, and I thought it might be useful to review them. Wool is of course an essential ...
  • French Inspirations II: J'Adore René Herse
    As far as vintage roadbikes go, none have gotten to me quite like the impeccably elegant René Herse . For your viewing pleasure, I present s...
  • Old English vs New English
    When I first posted about buying my vintage Raleigh Lady's Tourist, a reader commented that it looks like "the Pashley's grandm...
  • New Year, New Look, and Change of Contact Info
    Happy 2010 everyone! It's always nice to do something new in the new year, and so you may have noticed that I've made some minor cha...
  • Creative Encounters: Bicycle "Self-help" Workshop
    Located in the WUK center for workshops and culture in Vienna, the Fahrrad Selbsthilfe Werkstatt (Bicycle Self-Help Workshop), functions o...
  • Bicycles in Vienna: Part I
    On account of my job, I spend parts of the year in Vienna, Austria. Now that my interest in bicycles is ignited, I have been paying attenti...
  • Adventures with Shellac: Olive Handlebar Tape
    Okay: So say, hypothetically, you acquire a Mixte . It is a beautiful pale marine-blue. And it comes with drop handlebars. And after read...

Categories

  • ANT
  • art
  • bags
  • basket
  • beginners
  • bicycle events
  • bicycle industry
  • bicycle reviews
  • bike friends
  • bike shopping
  • blog development
  • Boston
  • Brompton
  • Brooks
  • Cape Cod
  • cats
  • clothing
  • Co-Habitant
  • coaster brake
  • comfort
  • countryside
  • diamond frame
  • DIY
  • DL-1
  • dress guards
  • drop bars
  • Eustacia Vye
  • fashion industry
  • fenders
  • films
  • flowers
  • food
  • framebuilding
  • Gazelle
  • gender
  • give-away
  • grips
  • handlebars
  • holidays
  • Italian bicycles
  • lights
  • local bike shops
  • loop frame
  • Lucy 3-Speed
  • lugs
  • Marianne
  • mixte
  • Motobecane
  • Myles
  • night time cycling
  • Pashley
  • product reviews
  • rain
  • Raleigh
  • restoration
  • Rivendell
  • roadcycling
  • rod brakes
  • Rodney
  • Royal H
  • Royal H. Mixte
  • saddles
  • shop visits
  • silliness
  • skirt
  • social commentary
  • somervillain
  • summer cycling
  • sun and heat
  • tandem
  • technique
  • test rides
  • tires
  • tools
  • traffic
  • trails
  • travel
  • urban cycling
  • Velouria
  • Vienna
  • vintage
  • winter cycling

Blog Archive

  • ►  2010 (8)
    • ►  January (8)
  • ▼  2009 (182)
    • ►  December (22)
    • ►  November (20)
    • ►  October (27)
    • ▼  September (21)
      • Derailleur Adjustment: an Illustrated Guide
      • Provincetown Cycle Yum
      • Of Hills and Vintage Gear Shifters
      • To the Lighthouse
      • Aquatic Bicycle
      • French Inspirations: Beautiful Oddities
      • Unexpected Sightings
      • Aquamarine
      • The Heart of a Frame
      • Fuji "Vent Léger": a Vintage Mystery
      • Who Is Afraid of Railroad Tracks?
      • An Ode to My Gloves
      • Cycling Through the Neighborhood(s)
      • A Real Classic: Vintage Gazelle
      • Good-Bye to Dining "Au Velo"
      • Pashley Princess with Mayor & Model
      • Velo Transgressions
      • Scenic Cycling: National Seashore, Cape Cod
      • Dressed Up and Ready to Go
      • Milan Bars (Alcohol-Free)
      • Raleigh DL-1: Vintage Dream Come True!
    • ►  August (20)
    • ►  July (21)
    • ►  June (23)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (9)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

dvdsvdsdv
View my complete profile