lovelybike3

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Sunday, September 13, 2009

A Real Classic: Vintage Gazelle

Posted on 6:37 AM by dvdsvdsdv
My heart skipped a beat when I spotted this vintage Gazelle bicycle near Central Square in Cambridge. It was chained to a tree with an enormous lock, so clearly the owner is fond of it.

Judging by the decal designs and the amount of rust on the frame, I would say this Gazelle is from the 1970s. However, the cream Delta Cruiser tires look brand new, and the "O-Lock" on the back wheel looks like a recent addition. I am not sure what is that thing on the stem above the headlight mount - perhaps another lock? And the round black object on the handlebars opposite of the bell perplexes me as well. If you know what these are, please do tell.

The old headbadges were gorgeous; I do wish they'd kept them on the modern bikes!

Fork crown and dynamo for the headlight.

Rear fender with the "cotton-tail" white end and an integrated rear reflector. Love the look of those!

Gazelle was the first bicycle I fell in love with when I discovered the Dutch/transport style bikes. They have been manufacturing bicycles since 1892 and have the status of a “royal” manufacturer, which is why you will sometimes see the brand name written as The Royal Dutch Gazelle. It was wonderful to see this vintage examplar, holding up after decades of use and cross-Continental travel.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in Boston, Gazelle, lights, loop frame, vintage | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Da Vinci Bicycle... Or Not
    Forget the Fendi Bicycle . It has been proposed that the first Italian designer bike was invented by Leonardo Da Vinci. The wooden construc...
  • Citibike Wien
    Like many cities in the EU, Vienna has recently adapted an active city-wide bicycle rental programme. The concept is similar to Zipcar in t...
  • DZnuts for the Ladies?
    One discovery I have made in my attempts to battle roadbike discomforts is a product called DZnuts . This is a chamois cream that promises t...
  • Woolen Socks and Tights: Winter Cycling Delights
    Over the holidays I was gifted some wool socks and tights, and I thought it might be useful to review them. Wool is of course an essential ...
  • French Inspirations II: J'Adore René Herse
    As far as vintage roadbikes go, none have gotten to me quite like the impeccably elegant René Herse . For your viewing pleasure, I present s...
  • Old English vs New English
    When I first posted about buying my vintage Raleigh Lady's Tourist, a reader commented that it looks like "the Pashley's grandm...
  • New Year, New Look, and Change of Contact Info
    Happy 2010 everyone! It's always nice to do something new in the new year, and so you may have noticed that I've made some minor cha...
  • Creative Encounters: Bicycle "Self-help" Workshop
    Located in the WUK center for workshops and culture in Vienna, the Fahrrad Selbsthilfe Werkstatt (Bicycle Self-Help Workshop), functions o...
  • Bicycles in Vienna: Part I
    On account of my job, I spend parts of the year in Vienna, Austria. Now that my interest in bicycles is ignited, I have been paying attenti...
  • Adventures with Shellac: Olive Handlebar Tape
    Okay: So say, hypothetically, you acquire a Mixte . It is a beautiful pale marine-blue. And it comes with drop handlebars. And after read...

Categories

  • ANT
  • art
  • bags
  • basket
  • beginners
  • bicycle events
  • bicycle industry
  • bicycle reviews
  • bike friends
  • bike shopping
  • blog development
  • Boston
  • Brompton
  • Brooks
  • Cape Cod
  • cats
  • clothing
  • Co-Habitant
  • coaster brake
  • comfort
  • countryside
  • diamond frame
  • DIY
  • DL-1
  • dress guards
  • drop bars
  • Eustacia Vye
  • fashion industry
  • fenders
  • films
  • flowers
  • food
  • framebuilding
  • Gazelle
  • gender
  • give-away
  • grips
  • handlebars
  • holidays
  • Italian bicycles
  • lights
  • local bike shops
  • loop frame
  • Lucy 3-Speed
  • lugs
  • Marianne
  • mixte
  • Motobecane
  • Myles
  • night time cycling
  • Pashley
  • product reviews
  • rain
  • Raleigh
  • restoration
  • Rivendell
  • roadcycling
  • rod brakes
  • Rodney
  • Royal H
  • Royal H. Mixte
  • saddles
  • shop visits
  • silliness
  • skirt
  • social commentary
  • somervillain
  • summer cycling
  • sun and heat
  • tandem
  • technique
  • test rides
  • tires
  • tools
  • traffic
  • trails
  • travel
  • urban cycling
  • Velouria
  • Vienna
  • vintage
  • winter cycling

Blog Archive

  • ►  2010 (8)
    • ►  January (8)
  • ▼  2009 (182)
    • ►  December (22)
    • ►  November (20)
    • ►  October (27)
    • ▼  September (21)
      • Derailleur Adjustment: an Illustrated Guide
      • Provincetown Cycle Yum
      • Of Hills and Vintage Gear Shifters
      • To the Lighthouse
      • Aquatic Bicycle
      • French Inspirations: Beautiful Oddities
      • Unexpected Sightings
      • Aquamarine
      • The Heart of a Frame
      • Fuji "Vent Léger": a Vintage Mystery
      • Who Is Afraid of Railroad Tracks?
      • An Ode to My Gloves
      • Cycling Through the Neighborhood(s)
      • A Real Classic: Vintage Gazelle
      • Good-Bye to Dining "Au Velo"
      • Pashley Princess with Mayor & Model
      • Velo Transgressions
      • Scenic Cycling: National Seashore, Cape Cod
      • Dressed Up and Ready to Go
      • Milan Bars (Alcohol-Free)
      • Raleigh DL-1: Vintage Dream Come True!
    • ►  August (20)
    • ►  July (21)
    • ►  June (23)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (9)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

dvdsvdsdv
View my complete profile