lovelybike3

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Flohmarkt Finds

Posted on 6:14 AM by dvdsvdsdv
Vienna has a passion for flea markets, and lots of them pop up at different times of the year - often set up like neighborhood festivals, with food stalls and music. The big year-round flea market is next to the famous outdoor Naschmarkt in the city center. It is open every Saturday and it is enormous - with stalls stretching as far as the eye can see selling everything from antique silverware and gramophones, to locally made wool socks and Chinese designer knock-offs.

I walked through the Flohmarkt this Saturday on my way to lunch with a friend, and spotted two interesting Austrian bicycles. The first is a very old Steyr.

I am thinking this can't be later than 1920's, because of the "spoon brake" - that single rod brake with just a pad to stop the wheel from spinning. Any opinions?

On the headbadge is a woman with a shepherd's staff. She looks either sleepy or grumpy, which I thought was funny. I have seen Steyr bicycles in Vienna before, but none quite this old.

The second bike was this all-green Bergkönig ("Mountian King").

Could this be the original mountain bike? Hmm...

The handlebars are flat-ish and with a short reach, once again suggesting a mountain bike design. The grips are real rubber and are partly melted. Dynamo powered lighting; side-pull caliper brakes.

The sprung leather saddle is unmarked. Very neat that even the springs and the seat post are painted green. Not sure what that metal wrap is on the top tube - any ideas?

As I was leaving the market, the sun finally came out, so I snapped some shots from the U-Bahn platform.

Here is another. I have been to this flea market many times, but this was the first time I've noticed vintage bikes. Despite the rust, I think they are pretty good finds for someone local who has the room for them. I would love to find out more about their history, so if you have any information please share.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in Vienna, vintage | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Da Vinci Bicycle... Or Not
    Forget the Fendi Bicycle . It has been proposed that the first Italian designer bike was invented by Leonardo Da Vinci. The wooden construc...
  • Citibike Wien
    Like many cities in the EU, Vienna has recently adapted an active city-wide bicycle rental programme. The concept is similar to Zipcar in t...
  • DZnuts for the Ladies?
    One discovery I have made in my attempts to battle roadbike discomforts is a product called DZnuts . This is a chamois cream that promises t...
  • Woolen Socks and Tights: Winter Cycling Delights
    Over the holidays I was gifted some wool socks and tights, and I thought it might be useful to review them. Wool is of course an essential ...
  • French Inspirations II: J'Adore René Herse
    As far as vintage roadbikes go, none have gotten to me quite like the impeccably elegant René Herse . For your viewing pleasure, I present s...
  • Old English vs New English
    When I first posted about buying my vintage Raleigh Lady's Tourist, a reader commented that it looks like "the Pashley's grandm...
  • New Year, New Look, and Change of Contact Info
    Happy 2010 everyone! It's always nice to do something new in the new year, and so you may have noticed that I've made some minor cha...
  • Creative Encounters: Bicycle "Self-help" Workshop
    Located in the WUK center for workshops and culture in Vienna, the Fahrrad Selbsthilfe Werkstatt (Bicycle Self-Help Workshop), functions o...
  • Bicycles in Vienna: Part I
    On account of my job, I spend parts of the year in Vienna, Austria. Now that my interest in bicycles is ignited, I have been paying attenti...
  • Adventures with Shellac: Olive Handlebar Tape
    Okay: So say, hypothetically, you acquire a Mixte . It is a beautiful pale marine-blue. And it comes with drop handlebars. And after read...

Categories

  • ANT
  • art
  • bags
  • basket
  • beginners
  • bicycle events
  • bicycle industry
  • bicycle reviews
  • bike friends
  • bike shopping
  • blog development
  • Boston
  • Brompton
  • Brooks
  • Cape Cod
  • cats
  • clothing
  • Co-Habitant
  • coaster brake
  • comfort
  • countryside
  • diamond frame
  • DIY
  • DL-1
  • dress guards
  • drop bars
  • Eustacia Vye
  • fashion industry
  • fenders
  • films
  • flowers
  • food
  • framebuilding
  • Gazelle
  • gender
  • give-away
  • grips
  • handlebars
  • holidays
  • Italian bicycles
  • lights
  • local bike shops
  • loop frame
  • Lucy 3-Speed
  • lugs
  • Marianne
  • mixte
  • Motobecane
  • Myles
  • night time cycling
  • Pashley
  • product reviews
  • rain
  • Raleigh
  • restoration
  • Rivendell
  • roadcycling
  • rod brakes
  • Rodney
  • Royal H
  • Royal H. Mixte
  • saddles
  • shop visits
  • silliness
  • skirt
  • social commentary
  • somervillain
  • summer cycling
  • sun and heat
  • tandem
  • technique
  • test rides
  • tires
  • tools
  • traffic
  • trails
  • travel
  • urban cycling
  • Velouria
  • Vienna
  • vintage
  • winter cycling

Blog Archive

  • ►  2010 (8)
    • ►  January (8)
  • ▼  2009 (182)
    • ►  December (22)
    • ▼  November (20)
      • All the Leaves Are Brown
      • Metropolitan
      • The "Born Again" Moment
      • Wisteria Lane
      • Flohmarkt Finds
      • Cycling Lessons From Miss Brodie
      • Thoughts on the Retrovelo Paul
      • Specialized Globe Haul: Test Ride Report
      • Out on the Town with Paul and Haul
      • Cycling the Parliament
      • BikeShare: Possibilities and Limitations
      • Augarten: a Bike Friendly Palace
      • Bicycle-Free in a Cycling City
      • Cycling and Flying
      • Not Your Typical 3-Speed!
      • Cross Town Express to Castle Island
      • A New Acquaintance... and a New Career?
      • Just Hangin'
      • A Most Civilised Outing
      • To the Grocery Store: An Exercise in Aesthetics
    • ►  October (27)
    • ►  September (21)
    • ►  August (20)
    • ►  July (21)
    • ►  June (23)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (9)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

dvdsvdsdv
View my complete profile