lovelybike3

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Thursday, April 16, 2009

A Pain in the Butt?

Posted on 6:39 PM by dvdsvdsdv
After riding around all day on the KHS Green, I noticed something, ahem, interesting. I've no idea how to put this delicately, so I won't even try: My bottom hurt like hell the next morning! It did not seem to be a muscle pain, but rather a pain from the imprint of the seat.



When returning the rental bike, I gingerly asked one of the Cambridge Bicycle employees about this. He replied that the sore butt is a natural side-effect of the relaxed-style sitting position: Because the seat is so much lower than the handle-bars, the body's weight gets distributed predominantly to that part of the body. The butt gets pressed into the seat, eventually becoming sore (especially after hours of riding).

This explanation makes sense. But why is this "feature" not mentioned on any of the reviews and weblogs that praise Dutch bicycles and relaxed-style riding?... I wonder whether the quality of the seat might have something to do with it as well. Either way, I thought it would be useful to provide this tidbit of information!
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in comfort, saddles | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Da Vinci Bicycle... Or Not
    Forget the Fendi Bicycle . It has been proposed that the first Italian designer bike was invented by Leonardo Da Vinci. The wooden construc...
  • Citibike Wien
    Like many cities in the EU, Vienna has recently adapted an active city-wide bicycle rental programme. The concept is similar to Zipcar in t...
  • DZnuts for the Ladies?
    One discovery I have made in my attempts to battle roadbike discomforts is a product called DZnuts . This is a chamois cream that promises t...
  • Woolen Socks and Tights: Winter Cycling Delights
    Over the holidays I was gifted some wool socks and tights, and I thought it might be useful to review them. Wool is of course an essential ...
  • French Inspirations II: J'Adore RenĂ© Herse
    As far as vintage roadbikes go, none have gotten to me quite like the impeccably elegant René Herse . For your viewing pleasure, I present s...
  • Old English vs New English
    When I first posted about buying my vintage Raleigh Lady's Tourist, a reader commented that it looks like "the Pashley's grandm...
  • New Year, New Look, and Change of Contact Info
    Happy 2010 everyone! It's always nice to do something new in the new year, and so you may have noticed that I've made some minor cha...
  • Creative Encounters: Bicycle "Self-help" Workshop
    Located in the WUK center for workshops and culture in Vienna, the Fahrrad Selbsthilfe Werkstatt (Bicycle Self-Help Workshop), functions o...
  • Bicycles in Vienna: Part I
    On account of my job, I spend parts of the year in Vienna, Austria. Now that my interest in bicycles is ignited, I have been paying attenti...
  • Adventures with Shellac: Olive Handlebar Tape
    Okay: So say, hypothetically, you acquire a Mixte . It is a beautiful pale marine-blue. And it comes with drop handlebars. And after read...

Categories

  • ANT
  • art
  • bags
  • basket
  • beginners
  • bicycle events
  • bicycle industry
  • bicycle reviews
  • bike friends
  • bike shopping
  • blog development
  • Boston
  • Brompton
  • Brooks
  • Cape Cod
  • cats
  • clothing
  • Co-Habitant
  • coaster brake
  • comfort
  • countryside
  • diamond frame
  • DIY
  • DL-1
  • dress guards
  • drop bars
  • Eustacia Vye
  • fashion industry
  • fenders
  • films
  • flowers
  • food
  • framebuilding
  • Gazelle
  • gender
  • give-away
  • grips
  • handlebars
  • holidays
  • Italian bicycles
  • lights
  • local bike shops
  • loop frame
  • Lucy 3-Speed
  • lugs
  • Marianne
  • mixte
  • Motobecane
  • Myles
  • night time cycling
  • Pashley
  • product reviews
  • rain
  • Raleigh
  • restoration
  • Rivendell
  • roadcycling
  • rod brakes
  • Rodney
  • Royal H
  • Royal H. Mixte
  • saddles
  • shop visits
  • silliness
  • skirt
  • social commentary
  • somervillain
  • summer cycling
  • sun and heat
  • tandem
  • technique
  • test rides
  • tires
  • tools
  • traffic
  • trails
  • travel
  • urban cycling
  • Velouria
  • Vienna
  • vintage
  • winter cycling

Blog Archive

  • ►  2010 (8)
    • ►  January (8)
  • ▼  2009 (182)
    • ►  December (22)
    • ►  November (20)
    • ►  October (27)
    • ►  September (21)
    • ►  August (20)
    • ►  July (21)
    • ►  June (23)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ▼  April (9)
      • Budget Options for Everyday Bicycles
      • A Lovely Bicycle for Everyday Cycling
      • Vendors in Boston
      • A Pain in the Butt?
      • Renting the KHS Green
      • KHS Green: The Loveliest Budget Bike
      • Gazelle Bicycles in Boston!
      • Gazelle Bicycles: First Glance
      • Yearning for a Lovely Bicycle
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

dvdsvdsdv
View my complete profile